Sunday, September 20, 2009

American Honda Finance

Recently a close friend of ours and an avowed Honda buyer had an experience with the Honda finance division that has now turned a long time buyer of the brand in to an extreme enemy of the company and even, God forbid, a true blue buy American advocate.
I will let him tell his story.
"I remember my first experience with Honda very well, my mother was in search of a new car and came to me for suggestions, it was 1991. I mentioned that I had heard great things about the new Honda Accord and that she should drive one. So we headed to the local Honda dealer and she drove a Maroon Honda Accord EX, it was AMAZING! That car would later become mine as my mom bought many more Accords as the years went buy. I recently sold that car for 2500.00 dollars and it had over 3 hundred and sixty thousand miles on it!! What a great car.
My wife and I also bought 3 more Honda's, a 2001 Accord with over 140 thousand miles on it with only standard maintenance being needed. When the new 2006 Accords hit the street I went and drove one, fell in love! What a monster car, a four cylinder that performed like it had 8 and the wonderful workmanship that everyone expects, I told everyone to buy one.
I put 3500 down and took it home.
For the next two years I believe we were always ahead on the payment, and in the past with Honda finance we always paid on time. Then the economy went sour, I own a small business, so I tried my best to keep those who worked with us on the payroll.
Still, my Honda payment was made, then it was like someone turned the lights out, everything stopped, those who owed us money held on to it longer and customers just stopped ordering, it was about this time that my payments on the Honda got behind.
I was trying to keep the business going and keep our home, but now, ALL sources of money dried up, NO ONE was loaning anything, in the past, it would have been just a simple phone call to get help, but I found that those days were over. I had to let my employee's go, and the house was close.
Then the calls started coming from Honda, understandable, business is business, but the tone of those calls was very unexpected. There was NO consideration for past loyalty or payment history, NO help was even offered as I had heard they had done with others. On one occasion they sent someone to my home who pushed there way into my house and said you have to call Honda now, I let the person know at Honda that I had a house note to pay as well, could I make one payment and keep working to catch up? The answer? An emphatic NO, they had to have as much as I could pay or they were taking the car, without the car I could not go to the meetings where I would make the money to keep my house and the home for two little girls, so I paid them.
It seems like just a day later they were back on the phone demanding more.
On one recent call the woman from the Atlanta office called and was VERY abusive and she noted that I need to pay ALL that was due or turn the car back in, NO options were offered, the call had an odd racist tone, but most importantly, NO options were offered.

Now? We are out of a home, and Honda had the car picked up, there agent came on to private property to get the car, not MY property. It did not seem to bother the guy that he was trespassing.
Well, if this is the new Honda, I am done, and where I supported and encouraged EVERYONE to buy a Honda, now I plan to tell millions NOT to, the company made its name buy building the best products in the world we all new they truly cared.
The fact that the spirit of the company has changed means in my mind the quality of the brand will no doubt suffer greatly, they no longer care, that will be reflected in their products and services.

I plan to name EVERY person in the Atlanta office, so stay tuned. I also intend to post this on EVERY blog in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment